How “super” is the government’s new super-deduction?

A super-deduction of 130% for plant and machinery (P&M) – when purchased new, between 1 April 2021 and 31 March 2023 – was announced in the 3 March Budget.

Anything described as “super” sounds incredibly exciting, and a lot of our clients thinking about making a capital purchase have asked us about it as potential a way to cut their tax bill, should they qualify.

We all know the adage that if something sounds too good to be true… etc. So, is this “super” deduction really as dazzling as it sounds?

Super deduction, broken down

This is how it works. For new and qualifying P&M assets, purchased between the specified dates, companies only will be able to claim a 130% super-deduction capital allowance. So, for £10,000 expenditure, there’ll be a £13,000 deduction against profits. Invest in new P&M, including brand-new equipment for use in the business (new computers, for example) and HMRC will pay 24.7% of the cost and your company will pay the remaining 75.3%. The contract for the brand-new P&M must have been entered into after 31 March 2021.

“Companies only” refers to a company that is subject to Corporation Tax – so, not an individual, partnership or LLP.

There are always exceptions

For P&M that doesn’t qualify for the super-deduction, the annual investment allowance is slightly less, at 100%. This applies to all businesses, on P&M that is not new (second-hand computers would be the example here). So, for £10,000 expenditure, there’ll be a £10,000 deduction – not quite super, but pretty good. In such cases, HMRC will pay 19% of the cost, and the company the remaining 81%.

When neither of these scenarios apply for a P&M investment, HMRC will pay 3.4% of the cost; the company, 96.6%, for example a second car with higher CO2 emissions.

Two important exceptions? Cars do not qualify for the super-deduction, even if they are fully electric. Also non-qualifying are property companies (landlords).

Interested, intrigued or still confused? There is more information available on the government website, but this is essentially about encouraging investment, now that such a turbulent period is hopefully coming to an end. If you are looking at investing in brand-new or any other kinds of P&M, or are open to exploring all options to grow your business, boost revenue and cash flow, give Figurit a call. With plenty of clients who have benefited from our long-term support, we can help you make good, pragmatic decisions for an exciting future.

Call Figurit (formerly known as Lansdell & Rose) on 020 7376 933 or complete the form below.

For more information


    Your Name (required):

    Your Email (required):


    Your Message:

    I would like to receive marketing information about Figurit's Services and updates about legislation changes from time to time (required):


    I would like to sign-up to the Figurit newsletter (required):

    Please view our Privacy Policy

    We will be in contact with you regarding your enquiry